Word of the Year 2014 & Blogging Goals

So, now that it’s February, I thought I’d share my word of the year. You know, a month late. Whatever. :)  When you see my word of the year, you’ll see why I’m not going to beat myself up about it!

I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection. - Emily Ley

Emily Ley

A little confession time:

As a stay-at-home, but also working mom, I beat myself up about a lot of things. As a woman, I beat myself up about a lot of things. And as a type-A, oldest child, almost-perfectionist, I find that I hold myself to a fairly high standard. Do you see a theme??

It can be a strength in some ways, I guess, but there’s almost always a continual critique {of myself} running through my mind. It’s not fun, most of the time. And I also know that I tend to be critical of others, because I’m so critical of myself. Ugh. Not the finest quality I have.

Word of the Year 2014: Grace
But, this year, you’ll find me repeating this phrase over and over … and over and over again.

I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection. – Emily Ley

I heard this quote a few years ago and it’s never left me. And as I was contemplating what my word of the year should be, I kept coming back to…

Grace.

Grace to not have a perfectly clean house.

Grace to decline doing something else, so that I can stay home and clean my house. :) {Because I do feel better when it’s at least picked up.}

Grace to work hard on my blog.

Grace to not post every day of the week.

Grace to rest.

Grace to say no to other things in order to breathe in the moments with my family.

Grace to let go of my plan in order to see the needs of others right in front of me.

Grace to accept difficulties and see them as blessings.

Grace to accept that I cannot do it all.

Grace to accept that I am not, nor never will be perfect.

And more … grace. As the year goes on, I know that the word “grace” will pop into my mind often.

I love what Emily Ley said in her post she wrote about this quote almost 3 years ago:

“My roles as wife, mother, friend, designer, daughter, sister, business partner, entrepreneur, peek-a-boo master, party-thrower, stationery creator, dinner whipper-upper, encourager, teacher and most importantly, bedtime story teller are ENORMOUS. Trying to balance them all is IMPOSSIBLE. And so instead, I devote myself to each one. at. a. time. I am committing myself to taking off one hat before I put on another.”

So, while I’m giving myself lots of grace, I still want to set goals for myself and my blog. Because I believe that goal setting is a crucial aspect of success. And even if I don’t meet them all, and will give myself grace when I don’t, I know that I will achieve so much more by aiming for something than just wandering along.

Blogging Goals 2014 at The Turquoise Home

1. Schedule posts a week in advance

I can be the world’s worst procrastinator. Although I keep a rather long list of post ideas in my editorial calendar, I have a terrible habit of waiting until the last minute to actually write the posts and edit the pictures. {I use the WP Editorial Calendar plugin.} This leads to very late bedtimes and lots of frustration. No more!

2. Create a Project Catalog

I’d love to have all of my project arranged neatly in image catalogs. I have the plugin, I just need to set it up! So much to catalog and so little time. :)

3. Figure out Google+

Ahh yes, the good ol’ {new} Google+. I feel like a fish out of water over there. But I think it’s needed in my social media presence out in Google land. Do you use Google+?

4. Create a tagline for my blog

What in the world do I use for a tagline? “Redeeming old, tired or ugly spaces and making them new” or “DIY Life and so much more”?? I think now that I’ve been blogging for almost 2 years, I think I can come up with a tagline. If you could write a tagline for me, what would it be? Maybe I should have a tagline writing contest? :)

5. Re-vamp my blog’s design

I love the Turquoise and will keep it, but I want a little different look. I’m not sure how crazy I’m going to go. And while I’ve grown quite attached to my logo, I’m feeling the next for change. I can’t decided if I want to hire a big designer and let them just create something new, or try to find a designer who will need a lot of direction from me.

6. Create a Media Kit

So far I’ve been very pleased with the sponsorship content I’ve share on The Turquoise Home, and all without a media kit. But with Haven coming this summer, I’m going to try to be more pro-active in pitching to brands.

7. Improve my photography

I know that I have a long way to go when it comes to photography and I need to just sit down and learn it. So, here’s to taking a couple of online courses, and maybe even investing in some new software. I already bought a cute camera bag the other day. And what it is, they say? “Buying a cute bag is half the battle.” Yes, I think that’ s it!

8. Attend Haven again

This is kind of a freebie on the list, because I plan to be waiting in line on March 1 when tickets go on sale. I’ve already got my money saved up and am ready to purchase! It was a huge pivotal even for me last year and I wouldn’t miss it for the world!

Thanks so much sweet reader for being on this fun adventure with me. I hope that you will give yourself an extra measure of grace this week {and year}. I can’t wait to see how 2014 unfolds for this space we call The Turquoise Home.

Much grace, Laura

Coming this week …

Printable Love AD 2 728x90

Don’t miss out on the behind-the-scenes fun!

Facebook // Twitter // Pinterest // Instagram

Click HERE to see where I party every week.

Comments

I’m excited….because my word of the year is also grace!! I shared it here http://www.architectureofamom.com/2014/01/one-little-word-grace.html . I really like your goal for scheduling posts at least a week in advance! (And the ones about project galleries…). Thanks for the inspiration, and thanks for sharing that another mom is looking for a little grace in her life.
    Rachel @ Architecture of a Mom recently posted…Glitter Mod Melt Hair ClipsMy Profile

Yay! Another grace girl. :) I was so proud of myself this week and have gotten a little ahead of my schedule. So, much so that I was able to go out of town unexpectedly and didn’t have to freak out. High-five for baby steps! Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Rachel!

2. Camille says

I think your word is PERFECT! I’m now retired, but in my working/mom (single mom at that)/be all to end all days, it ran me ragged. I too was the oldest/must achieve/be all to everyone at all times. I never figured out the one.thing.at.a.time thing! :) I can now look back with 20/20 vision and see I would have been much better off had I given myself a lot of leeway. You’re headed in the right direction. When it’s the right thing to do, it will present itself and just all fall in as it should without a lot of work on your part. Take it a day at a time. I love your blog!

Laura, I loved reading this…and I think its perfect that you gave yourself grace in sharing your “word of the year” in Feb. You’re off to a great start. And I also found myself nodding with resonance so much throughout this post. I’m a perfectionist, too, and often my own worst enemy; I also battle the procrastinator bug! I really do think perfectionism and procrastination go hand in hand. I put things off until I feel I can do them perfectly…which is never…so I always end up cramming things in at the last minute. Now I know who to come to for tips and tricks at battling perfectionism / procrastination! ;-) And may grace abound.

P.S. Cannot wait for Haven 2014 with you!
    Lauren @ The Thinking Closet recently posted…101 Creative Date Nights on a Dime!My Profile

Yes, I totally exercised my grace by posting in February, right? :) This week I was so proud of myself for getting ahead a little and I even submitted by Silhouette challenge picture a day early! That never, ever happens!! I will be battling alongside you with the procrastination thing, because I’m sure I’ve not mastered it yet. Not even close. We’ll just have to keep each other in check.

I love what you wrote about grace, you have inspired me to keep that in my daily thoughts, thank you! I was also touched by what Emily said about taking off one hat before putting on another~very good advice, similar to one step at a time…we all have so many roles to fill, the last thing we need is beating ourselves up! Also, I didn’t know about WP editorial calendar. I keep my blog organized on my ical calendar and it works great but I’m anxious to check this out, thanks!
    Jenna recently posted…The Organized Life, Tackling your pantryMy Profile

The editorial calendar is fabulous! It has been a great tool for storing my ideas as well as scheduling out the coming weeks. Thanks for stopping by!

Really enjoyed reading out plans, as it sounds like we’re working on many of the same things! I’m currently working out my redesign, am all scheduled on posts until Saturday – so not bad!, I’ve just drafted up my media kit and G+ has been my home for the past week or so while I try to get a handle on it – it’s so strange there, like a foreign land! Thanks for sharing, popping over from Share It Sunday
    The Reading Residence recently posted…The Golf LessonMy Profile

Wow! you are on it!! I need to get my posts scheduled out in advance first, and then work on the others. :) gotta save up for that redesign I want!

I loved this post! I could almost echo every sentence you wrote in this. That quote from Emily Ley is so powerful! It’s so hard to do it all but that’s the point–we can’t do it all! I’m learning to do one thing at a time leaning on Jesus to help me. I can’t do it without Him!
    I’ve also been trying to figure out Google+ and I found some video tutorials here that were super helpful! http://thenymelrosefamily.com/video-tutorials
    Carrie This Home recently posted…Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop 62My Profile

I loved this post…it’s almost as though I could have written it! I am also type A, oldest child and have only just begun my blogging journey and have similar goals for this year….Love the word grace and I need tons of it! My word for the year is eucharisteo based on the book by Ann Voskamp 1000 gifts! I am your newest follower on Google + :-)
    Enjoy your journey-Cathy

What a great post, Laura! I appreciate the quote and wisdom from Emily Ley. As an “only” I struggle with the very same issues you do. In some ways it has gotten better with time. But, when I live in my own strength rather than on God’s they all start to rear their ugly heads.
    Thanks for sharing with us a Project Inspire{d}-AnExtraorordinaryDay.net! I’ll be featuring you this week. ;)
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted…Ruffles : Buttons : Bows ~ Embellished Valentine TowelsMy Profile

Just loved your blog so much! I really came here because of the Turquoise ‘Grace’ design! I’m crazy about this color and can even paint myself with it someday! :)
    Glad to have found your blog and hope to come here more often! :)
    Nidhi recently posted…L.O.V.E all Around!My Profile

Thank you so much, Richella! I can definitely say that the word pops into my head a lot and I can just relax and not stress over not doing every little thing that I need to. :)