Living Room Makeover – Part 6: Super-Easy Throw Pillows

In case you missed these earlier posts:
Part 1: Paint

Remember last Thursday when I told you about this fabric … and these awesome chairs from Target??

When I originally found this fabric months ago, I wanted to use it to make curtains for my kitchen. But with a $30/yard price tag, that was a major no go. So, then I decided to make envelope throw pillows for my couch. And it took me forever to sit down and make them. Why? Because I have a love hate (mostly hate) relationship with my sewing machine. Until now! This was by far the easiest sewing project I’ve done so far. If you’re looking for a beginner sewing project, then throw pillows would be perfect!

Seriously, I want to make throw pillows for my whole house now. Super easy, peasy!

Here’s how it went down …
I first decided what size to make my pillows. I had Euro inserts, which are 26 x 26 inches. And I wanted the pillows to be somewhat plump. So, I decided to cut the fabric at 26 x 26, so that after I sewed it all up, it would be a little smaller and the insert would fill it up.

I only ordered 1 yard of the fabric, and decided to use some less expensive fabric for the backs. (I bought the back fabric at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon, of course. I think it was just an off white denim.) Since the floral pattern repeated twice on one yard, I cut out a “frame” from some wrapping paper.

I’m sure you’re thinking, wrapping paper and making pillows? Strange. But this wrapping paper had grid lines, so I knew it was exactly square when I cut it out.

See what I mean? It helped me picture the pattern I wanted on the front of the pillow. And once I cut out the first square, I just placed it over the other half of the fabric and it was easy to cut out the second square.

I cut out two pieces of the back fabric for each pillow. One piece was 26 x 20 inches and the other piece was 26 x 16 inches. This left plenty of room for the two pieces to overlap on the back and to have a generous hem allowance.

I then ironed all of the pieces, and hemmed up the two ends of the back pieces that would be creating the envelope. And then I laid the fabric on top of each other, with the outsides facing each other. And I sewed straight lines around all of the edges. I turned it inside out, stuffed the inserts in, and voila … a throw pillow!

I didn’t take a picture of each step, so I won’t go through it all here. You can get a step-by-step tutorial over at Our Lake Life. I followed her steps almost exactly; and they were so easy.

I think what makes this project so simple is that it’s fairly small and you’re just sewing straight lines. Once I got everything cut out and ironed, I think it took me maybe 15 minutes or less to sew them all together. It was definitely a 1 nap time project. I love those!

Man, this picture makes my couch look dumpy. It’s super comfy, but can you tell where I sit all the time? Ha! And maybe I should try to smooth it out before I take pictures? You think?? Oh and don’t mind me cropping this so close to the top of the couch. I’m trying to keep from showing you much of the board and batten in the background. :) I’ll share it on Friday!!

I love, love, love how this easy project turned out. And now I can’t wait to buy more fabric to add more pillows to the couch … and maybe every other room in the house.

Have you ever made throw pillows? If so, do you have any tips or tricks to share?

Don’t forget to check out Part 7: Final Reveal!
Wednesday: Beyond the Picket Fence | Lil’ Luna | Ginger Snap Crafts |  Lady Behind the Curtain | Creations by Kara | The Trendy Treehouse | Someday Crafts | Southern Lovely | 36th Avenue | Polka Dots on Parade
Thursday: 52 Mantels | No Minimalist Here | live laugh rowe | The Shabby Creek Cottage | House of Hepworths | Embracing Change | Katie’s Nesting Spot | Bloom Designs | Imparting Grace | Somewhat Simple | The Girl Creative | The Frugal Girls | My Repurposed Life | From My Front Porch to Yours | Beyond the Picket Fence (Under $100) |
Friday: Just Us FourJennifer Rizzo | The Charm of Home | French Country Cottage | Common Ground | Redoux | One Artsy Mama | Ladybird Ln | Simply Sweet Home | Simply Designing | Shabby Nest | Liz Marie Blog | Chic on a Shoestring Decorating | Lovely Crafty Home | Thirty Handmade Days | Five Days Five Ways | The Stitchin’ Mommy | Whipperberry
Saturday: Six Sisters Stuff | The Gingerbread Blog | Cheerios & Lattes | Be Different Act Normal | Or so she says | Your Homebased Mom | Too Much Time on my Hands | Tatertots and Jello

Featured by:

Comments

You chose a beautiful pattern. I’ve made similar slipcover pillowcases. Yours is just gorgeous. I like your tip on figuring out what pattern to use!

Cute pillow covers! I love the floral fabric.

Stopping by from Make The Scene Monday. Have a wonderful week!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks

Beautiful! I love simple envelope pillows… you can whip them up so quickly. I use some quilt cutting tools (a rotating cutter and cutting mat) that I was given by my mom so cutting is super easy too, but if I didn’t have those the wrapping paper trick would be the perfect solution! Great idea:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie

I imagine the rotating cutter and the cutting mat would have been muuuuuch easier! I kept thinking there was probably a better way, but I worked with what I had. Need to get me some of those tools before the next set of pillow!

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

These are very pretty! The fabric is a perfect compliment to your sofa! I have never made the envelope style before but I think I will give it a whirl. Linda

that fabric is amazing!! Do you think it will ever go one sale so you could get more? I don’t like to spend a ton on fabric either :o) thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations… Winners for the giveaway will be announced Wed… Have you entered?

What a great idea to use the wrapping paper! I’m going to have to remember that. I love the fabric you used for those pillows!

Gorgeous! I have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine too! Love an easy sewing job . These are great!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

That fabric would be perfect for the inserts in the retro console I got recently. I have been unable to find such great fabric and yours is divine, but at $30 a yard, I think I should keep looking! Fun to see the pillows you made with it though. Just gorgeous!
    Liz

Everybody loves your choice of fabric, as do I. But, from where did you order it? Even though it is pricey,you’ve shown that just a little can make an impact! Love it!

The pillows are amazing but I am even more amazed by the wonderful chairs you got at Target! How long ago was that? I love them!

Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods! I look forward to seeing what you bring to the party next week. Don’t forget to check out the features on Sunday.

~Chelsea

Hey Chelsea … I WISH I had those chairs, but I’m just drooling over them for now. :) But they are still for sale at Target.com. Just checked!!

Your pillows look great! Using the grid pattern from wrapping paper is a great tip for cutting a perfect square.

I’m visiting from Richella’s party. It’s great to discover your blog.

12. Andrea says

hey there! I’ve been drooling over this chair for 2 or so months for my mud/breeze way! I am wondering what color the bluish teal is. Is it darker in person? I would hate to buy it and not love the teal. (I doubt it, but it would be just my luck!)

Hi Andrea, I think it’s pretty spot on from the picture… don’t think it’s darker. It might be a TAD bit more muted than the pictures, but that’s all. I’m sure you’ll love it. I definitely do!

Thanks for stopping by!

14. Erica says

Please! Please! Tell me what the fabric is and where to find it bc I am soooo in love:) Please!!