IKEA Rast Hack: New Nightstands

It’s done! I finished my new bedside tables last Tuesday and can I say that I love them!!

My very first wood-working project is complete. It was hard work and took me quite some time to get it done (all weekend and some of Monday and Tuesday), but I’m sure I’ll get faster with time. :)

I have been wanting matching nightstands since the day we got married, but our old master bedroom wasn’t big enough for two nightstands. But the new bedroom is definitely big enough.

My hubby had a nice bedroom suite when we got married, but it only had one nightstand. So, I had to find something that worked for our old room. Something very small. You can see it on my side of the bed in the before pictures.

But now, I have my very own nightstand with drawers to hide my junk! And the room just seems more symmetrical. I guess it’s because it IS symmetrical.

The Rast Hack is pretty trendy right now. The base Rast dresser from IKEA is only $35. It’s solid pine, and a decent piece of furniture. The beauty of it is that you can transform it into almost any style or type of furniture.

I copied my version straight from A Charming Nest’s version. I fell in love with it, and knew it would go well with my vision for our bedroom.

Tools needed:
Miter saw
Nail gun
Putty knife

Materials:
Wood putty
Sand paper
1×4 the width of the dresser
2 1×6 the width of the dresser
About 40 feet of lattice (per dresser, if you’re doing two dressers, get about 75 feet of lattice)
Drawer pulls
Stain
Paint
Floetrol
Polycrylic

This is the IKEA Rast dresser. Pretty plain and boring, but solid wood and perfect for dressing up.

First thing I did was build up the bottom so that I could attach the molding to something.

Before building it up.
I used one 1×4 (I think) and a piece of lattice behind it to build it up.

Then I cut the base molding and lattice to trim out all of the drawers and sides. I used my new miter saw I got for my birthday. Love it!

Starting to get cute! :) I fitted the trays to the top of the dresser before I attached the lattice to the sides.

I then filled all the holes with wood putty.

And painted, two coats. I put Floetrol in my paint to minimize the brush strokes. I used Sherwin Williams Antique White paint color.

I pre-stained the top “tray” that I put on the top of the nightstand. I placed two 1×6′s and 1 1×4 side by side on the top and used the nail gun to fasten them to the top. And then I used stained lattice to trim around the edge of the top.

BEFORE
AFTER
I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

Now I just need new lamps, new duvet cover, pictures above the bed, and more … :)

What do you think of my first project???

Check out my nightstands in my master bedroom now.

Linked up to:
Sunday: I Heart Nap Time | Flamingo Toes | Nifty Thrifty Things | DIY Show Off | Homemaker on a Dime | By Stephanie Lynn
Monday: Alderberry Hill | Sumo’s Sweet Stuff | Sew Can Do | Craft-O-Maniac | Keeping It Simple | DIY Home Sweet Home | Skip to My Lou | Mad in Crafts | So Much Better with Age | Cupcakes & Crinoline | Twelve0eight | Home Stories A to Z | Sweet Living Magazine
Tuesday: Coastal Charm | Crafty Texas Girls | My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia | Cozy Little House | Inside BruCrew Life | Today’s Creative Blog | Sugar Bee Crafts | Nap-time Creations | New Nostalgia | Not Just a Housewife | Elizabeth & Co. | A Diamond in the Stuff  |  Hope Studios |
Wednesday: Lil’ Luna | Ginger Snap Crafts |  Lady Behind the Curtain | Creations by Kara | High Heels and Grills  | The Trendy Treehouse | Someday Crafts | Southern Lovely | Polka Dots on Parade | 36th Avenue |
Thursday: 52 Mantels | No Minimalist Here | live laugh rowe | The Shabby Creek Cottage | House of Hepworths Embracing Change | Katie’s Nesting Spot | Bloom Designs | The Girl Creative | Reasons to Skip the Housework | Somewhat Simple | From My Front Porch to Yours  | My Repurposed Life
Friday: The Charm of Home | French Country Cottage | Common Ground | Redoux | Jennifer Rizzo | Ladybird Ln | Simply Designing | The Stitchin’ Mommy | Five Days Five Ways | Just Us Four | Lovely Crafty Home | Liz Marie Blog | Thirty Handmade Days | Shabby Nest | Chic on a Shoestring Decorating | One Artsy Mama | Miss Mustard Seed | Whipperberry |

***Original post via TheTurquoiseHome.com***

Comments

Beautiful! I just repainted and Ikea dresser in our guest room and added new hardware but never thought to add trim-
    wish I had seen your post first lol!
    Cheers

What a lovely dresser. I look forward to you stopping by My Dream Canvas. I am hosting a spring soiree at my home :) The party also includes a giveaway by the famous tabletop and giftware brand Mikasa. Hope to see you there!! Have a great week.

I love this! I love Ikea and this makes me love it even more! Stopped by from Show me the Goods Link up.
    Corey

I am just floored, what a transformation, you go girl. That is incredible and you did that yourself? You are very talented. Can’t believe the difference in before and after. The night stands look like fancy expensive furniture. You should be very proud of your first project like that.

love this! well done :) i love your blog; turquoise is a huge color in every room in my home too! it just makes me happy. i’m your newest follower!

That’s amazing!! I can’t believe what you did to it! I thought, no way those are from Ikea. You’re so clever and handy ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

There’s one of those nightstands in the vacation home we’ve been renting. I was just thinking last night, that there would be lot’s of ways to ‘udate’ it to reflect some personality. So deja vu. Love how yours turned out.

Nice work! They turned out beautifully! We just hacked the Tarva dresser over at our place… It’s so fun to turn something plain and cheap into something you really like.

This is just beautiful! I just linked my klubbo table hack to the Common Ground party and saw your hack. Did you submit it to the Ikea Hackers blog yet? If not, you should!

I love Ikea hacks. I’m ready to tackle my Leksvik tv-cabinet (with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). Feel free to join my link party with hour hack. Crafty Country Cottage @ Old Red Barn.

Goedele

Thanks so much for linking up to our Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop! This nightstand is fabulous and I love how you were able to custom build it to coordinate with your farmhouse headboard. Perfect combo!
    xo, Jennifer @Blissfully Ever After

I cannot believe you did this to that nightstand before. I am so mad at myself. I had TWO of those from Ikea that I got on clearance. I thought I would do SOMETHING with them, then gave up and gave them away. Yours looks like a very expensive piece. Great work!!!!!!

LOVE!!! Saw this on Pinterest. It’s exactly what I’ve been needing by my bed. I’ve had the cheapo 3-legged round particle board table with ruffled tablecloth (you know the ones!) for 17 years and desperately need a “real” bedside table. My husband is a great woodworker and keeps asking me to show him what I want. THIS is it! He could totally make it from scratch, but I doubt he could make the base unit for that price (not to mention his time). I think a 30 min drive to Ikea with the babies is in my near future. Thanks for sharing this!

Awesome, Julie! I love it when I find exactly what I’m looking for. :-) I’m sure your hubby can whip these up in no time! I’d love to see pics when you finish them!!

Thanks for stopping by!

14. cindy says

Lovely job! Just wondering how much moulding you bought-didn’t catch that on your list of materials. Also, did you get the store to do the cuts of the moulding for you, or did you do them yourself?
    Thx, can’t wait to try it myself!
    Cindy

15. Elise says

Looks beautiful! I may replace my particleboard nightstands now! One question….how wide is the lattice you used and where did you buy it. HD has 3 widths and they can actually be up to $1.xx per foot so 75 feet could be so pricey it would defeat the purpose of buying the Rast pieces. Thanks!

Hi Elisa, I bought the lattice from Home Depot. And I think it was the 1 inch size. But I’m pretty sure the $1/piece was for an 8-foot piece. So, 75 feet would only be $10-ish. :) Much better than $75!! I couldn’t have done it if the supplies cost that much!

How funny, Linda! I also try to go to the source to repin, because if nothing else I hate clicking on a pin and it just going to the image or the front page of a blog or site instead of that specific tutorial or whatever. So, I try to verify that it’s a “good” pin first … even though it takes more time.

I’m glad you liked my Ikea hack. :) It was so great to meet you, too!!

16. Darla says

I am thoroughly impressed!! I want to do this now! So glad for girls like you with ideas like this because I can make it but I sure never would’ve looked at that little dresser and seen that potential :)

WOW! Now that is AWESOME! It looks fantastic. It’s amazing what little wood and a lot of work and imagination can do. Great job!

18. Morgan says

Did you put the molding around the back of the dresser, too? Also, where did you find the molding that wide to cover the entire bottom of the dresser?

1. […] Charming Nest}). I already have the Rast Ikea night stands, I just need to change them up a bit. (Update: IKEA Rast Hack completed) New duvet cover – something neutral, probably something from Pottery Barn. Add a quilt to […]