Layering plants into your space can add personality and style to any room. If you’re internally cringing at the thought of having yet another living thing to care for, don’t worry!
Faux plants look just as realistic as their real counterparts, minus any of the hard work. Here’s everything you need to know about where to buy fake plants and what to do with them.
Decorating your home should be a fun and enjoyable experience. One of the easiest ways you can make your house feel more like home is by adding accessories to your space. My current favorite accessory? Greenery!
However, I don’t have a green thumb, and don’t feel like I have time in this season of my life to keep track of watering schedules and rotating them in and out of sunlight and all the other things that come along with taking care of plants. My kids take up that time right now!
Thankfully, fake plants look so realistic that I often can’t tell the difference! And I decided to share with you where to buy the best fake plants because they can make a HUGE impact on the aesthetic of your home or office.
I’ve decorated with live plants before and end up frustrated for many reasons, and I don’t want you to go through something similar. There is definitely a place for real plants, but when it comes to decorating, artificial is often the way to go unless you are a natural gardener!
What To Look For When You Buy Faux Plants
When you are on the hunt to buy faux plants, there are a few things you need to consider. You can’t just walk into your local dollar store, grab a few fake plants, and expect your home to look like a million bucks.
Consider the quality of the faux plants. Artificial and dried floral should look realistic and welcoming. They should closely resemble a real plant because otherwise, it will stick out like crazy.
You want fake plant decor that look so real that people need to touch them and ask you if they’re fake or not. That’s a sign you picked a good one. Odds are you will be spending more money on fake plants to get that good quality, but it’s completely worth it.
Beware: Sometimes, the cheap fake plants have an odd plastic chemical smell to them, that you can’t hide.
Fit Your Space
Pick plants that will easily fit in your space. Consider what room you are shopping for and the size of the plant you need. If you’re setting it on the floor, it’s going to need to be a lot larger than if it’s on a small shelf in the kitchen.
Fake Plants vs. Real
There are many pros and cons to both artificial plants and real. I tend to always reach for a faux plant when there’s a quality option, but it’s on my list of goals to get some real plants and learn how to care for them.
But think about it; you don’t have to water fake plants, give them food, or put them in a larger pot when they outgrow the one they’re in. Plus, you don’t have to worry about where you place it in your home.
Real plants need the perfect amount of sunlight to continue to grow and thrive. Let’s say you have a darker den, and there’s not a ton of natural light. There aren’t many plants that are real that are going to do too well in there. But if you gather some fake plants, you can put them anywhere you like with no worries.
There are many real plants that need to be treated differently depending on the season. With the best faux plants, you can set them and leave them for as long as you want — no worries about keeping them in the dark cool basement for the winter or pruning them.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy here.
Where To Buy Fake Plants Online
- Wayfair – They always have the cutest fake plants and accessories for your home and office. Plus, they have everything you need to decorate your entire home, including furniture, rugs, and more.
- Amazon – You’d be surprised how many gorgeous faux plants you can snag with Amazon. And you can order at the last minute and usually get them delivered in a couple of days.
- West Elm– Finding some luxurious and realistic faux plants, West Elm is a delightful option.
- Target – I love buying fake plants at Target because they always keep a great stock of stylish items. Plus, they almost always come in the most adorable containers. This is where I found my fiddle leaf fig, which everyone thinks is real!
- Pottery Barn – If you are looking for plants that are top of the line and great quality, consider Pottery Barn. It’s one of the best places to buy fake plants. I love everything they sell, but especially love my paper whites!
- Hobby Lobby – While you can go in-store to buy these, they sell them online as well! Their lamb’s ear stems are the best out there and if you’re on a small budget, almost all of their greenery is great!
Where To Buy Fake Plants In Stores
- Hobby Lobby – They have lots of seasonal items as well as year-round faux plants. You can seriously decorate your entire home with things from Hobby Lobby, and it would look gorgeous. As you already know, I’m a huge fan of the faux floral selections at Hobby Lobby!
- Lowe’s – If you are out and about, don’t forget to stop and visit your local Lowe’s store. While they have a wide range of real plant options, they have amazing faux versions as well!
- Bed, Bath, And Beyond -You will probably fall in love with tons of items when you head into Bed, Bath, and Beyond! They have the best stuff.
- World Market – If you’re lucky enough to have a World Market nearby, you are going to be impressed with all that they have. You won’t have any trouble leaving with a few fake plants.
- IKEA – while all of IKEA’s fake plants don’t look real, they do have some great stems and grasses!
Apartment Therapy‘s Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree Collection
How To Decorate With Fake Plants
Use faux plants to hide unsightly items and areas of your home. Maybe you have a strange spot on your floor that’s not repairable—you can place a large fake potted plant there to hide it. Or if you have electrical cords that you don’t want everyone to see, put a plant to draw the eye away.
You want to try to make the plant appear to be as authentic as possible. If you place a plant in front of a window, try to bend the leaves and stems so they go towards the window as a real plant would. No one will think a thing of it because that is a natural thing that plants do.
Use pretty baskets and flower pots for the fake plants. They will be lovely focal points and add an additional pop of color to your room. If you do have a few live plants too, place them together, so they complement each other.
Try different styles and textures of plants to add even more character to your space.
How To Clean Fake Plants
The only downfall to having fake plants is that you have to clean them. But don’t worry, it’s usually a pretty simple task and doesn’t take a ton of effort. Here are a few ideas to help you:
- Use a paintbrush. You can quickly and easily use a paintbrush to wipe off all the leaves one at a time. This doesn’t take long, and a paintbrush can fit into smaller spots.
- Cloth is a great option for wiping leaves. You can get a microfiber cloth damp and lightly wipe each leaf. The dust will stick to the cloth, and it will look new when you’re done.
- Try your vacuum. If you have a vacuum with an attachment, remove it and use it to suck up dirt. It’s a quick and easy method that has a significant impact. Just be careful not actually to suck up any portion of the plant itself.
There you have it! Are you convinced that you need a faux plant (or 12, no judging!) in your life?
MORE POSTS YOU WILL LOVE:
Get Instant Access to my Guide to Customize Your Home on a Budget
Grab your FREE guide for 10 Ways to Customize Your Home on a Budget: simple projects to transform your home from builder beige to a home with character and charm!