This quick and easy dessert is the traditional and yummy Hello Dolly Bar, but also can be called a Magic Bar or a 7 Layer Bar. Whatever you call it, the soft, delicious graham cracker crust, rich chocolate and crunchy coconut drizzled with sweetened condensed milk is so scrumptious that you’ll be making them for every pool party this summer.
I made them for a pool party yesterday and they were gobbled up quickly. You see, I have to make them for special occasions like that, because if I keep them around the house I’ll eat them all!
So, this summer as you enjoy late nights out with friends, a general lack of schedule, and lots of good times, be sure to take a side of Hello Dollies. You’ll be the hit of the party!
Honestly, I remember eating these as a little girl, but I can’t remember where I ate them. I don’t think my mom made them, because the recipe isn’t in our family recipe book.
Side note for a great gift idea: Several years ago my mom gave all of use girls (my sisters-in-law and me) a family cookbook. She took all of our favorite family recipes, made them pretty in Word, printed them off and slid them into protective sleeves in a 3-ring binder. It’s one of the best gifts I’ve ever received and one I use daily. I’ll make them for my girls one day and add this recipe for sure!
I searched the internets for a good recipe and tried several before I found one that I loved. I tweaked it to make it my own and I hope you’ll enjoy it too! Also, this takes like 5-10 minutes to throw together. Such an easy dessert to make when you have lots of little ones and are short on time. 🙂
- 2 c. graham cracker crumbs (~10 crackers)
- ⅝ c. butter, melted (10 Tbs.)
- 1 heaping c. of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c. butterscotch chips
- 1 c. pecan halves
- 1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Line a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray
- Crush the graham crackers in a Ziploc baggie.
- Melt the butter and stir into the graham cracker crumbs until evenly combined.
- Press the graham cracker mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Evenly cover the crust with the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans and coconut.
- Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes at 325°. I set my oven for 25 minutes and then add an additional minute, watching it closely until the edges are golden brown, the middle is bubbly and the coconut is slightly brown. You want to be careful not to burn the coconut and it can happen very quickly.
You can play around with the toppings. I’ve seen a variety from white chocolate chips, almonds, walnuts, raisins and even Rolos candy! It all sounds delish and I plan to experiment more the next time I make them.
I hope you enjoy!
Get Instant Access to my Guide to Customize Your Home on a Budget
Grab your FREE guide for 10 Ways to Customize Your Home on a Budget: simple projects to transform your home from builder beige to a home with character and charm!