Picking the Perfect Gray Paint {Revere Pewter}

I have finally found the color that I want to paint my open living areas and hallways, and it’s the perfect gray. Woohoo!! But before I tell you which color it is, let’s talk gray for a minute.

Yes, I know it’s the go-to neutral color right now. It’s sooo trendy, for sure. And I’ve wavered back and forth about whether to stick with beige or go gray. I did beige in my old house, and really liked it fine. It was Latte by Restoration Hardware.
It was a great backdrop for my bright red couch and turquoise accents. And our new home came freshly painted in a similarly neutral beige. It has a little more red than Latte, but it’s not too orangey for me. But, it’s flat paint. I have no extra sample paint for touch ups and there’s a little girl with sticky fingers walking around this house. :) So, I needed to paint and pick out a color for my living room, entry way and two hallways.
I finally decided to go with gray because I really want to do something I’ve never done before. (Although I know everyone else is doing it too.) And in two years if I’m tired of it, I can always go back to beige – or some other color. It’s just paint, and I like painting. So there you have it! :)
Revere Pewter was a little washed out in this picture due to the morning light.
I finally narrowed the selection down to four gray colors. I’ve studied gray paints for hours, looked online, made a long list of possibilities, gone to the paint store and stared at numerous paint chips.

And I finally picked four colors to test out: Rockport Gray, Revere Pewter, Grant Beige and Hazy Skies. All by Benjamin Moore. I just love their colors, especially their historical colors, and probably won’t ever pick anything else!

I wanted to try Grant Beige because it seemed to be a nice greige: a mix of gray and beige. But it ended up being way to beige for what I want. I wanted to include some greige colors because my husband really likes the beige and doesn’t seem to love the gray. But he ended up not liking it either. I quickly nixed it from the running and took it down.
The other three colors I really liked. Hazy Skies and Revere Pewter aren’t much different. But the Hazy Skies is just a little more green than Pewter Gray. And then I loved Rockport Gray, but I knew it was going to be dark. I just wanted to try it. My husband really loved the Rockport Gray, but I think once it’s on every wall it would just be too much.
So, which one did I pick??
Drumroll please!
Revere Pewter!!
I was leaning toward this color from the beginning, but I just wanted to test it out and give some others a try before I painted it on half of my house.I’ve actually never been so thorough about selecting a paint color before. I usually just look at the paint swatch and go, but this time I decided I needed to put a little more into the process.
And I’m so glad that I did. I now know without a doubt that I love Revere Pewter. And I can’t wait to get it on my walls!
But I have to wait a little bit since my husband’s birthday is this weekend and we’re going to have some friends in town. I don’t want to be in the middle of painting the whole house with company here. Yeah, that might be messy.
I also kind of have a domino effect going on with the living room. I’m definitely doing board and batten treatment on the walls. And so I’ve got to figure out where that’s going exactly. And I want to paint the top gray and the bottom white before I apply the boards and battens. That way I’m not doing quite as much trim painting as if I did it afterwards. And I’m toying with the ideas of some built-ins in the living room as well. So, I need to figure that out before I do the board and batten treatment. See what I mean about a domino effect? I have to do it all at once, or quickly since each part will effect the other. Whew, just writing this paragraph makes me tired.
Back to picking paint. I got a little sidetracked and overwhelmed with that last bit. Ha! I highly recommend taking the time to pick your top favorite paint colors, getting samples, and painting them on poster board. I just used poster board from Walmart and sample paints from Lowe’s tinted to the Benjamin Moore colors.You want the color to be on the wall where you’re going to paint; you can always paint directly on the wall to get an even better idea, but I wanted to be able to take these down, and move them around the house. Check them at different times a day when the light changes in the room. I also moved these posters to the hallways where there is little to no direct sunlight. I kept a white border around each color on purpose, in order to neutralize the color. I didn’t want the new color to be right next to the original wall color.
Now, while we’re here … let’s take a look at some rooms with Revere Pewter. I can’t wait to have this on my walls!

Source

Now, who wants to come over and have a paint party?!?

Don’t miss out on the behind-the-scenes fun!

Facebook // Twitter // Pinterest // Instagram

Click HERE to see where I party every week.

Comments

I’m in the process of picking a gray /griege to go in my master, but mine has to match a mint green headboard! Eek! Your post helps tho

Stop by our new link party- Give Me The Goods

• amy sudol says

Could you recommend a good ceiling white to complement Revere Pewter? I have a small apartment but the living room/kitchen space is open with lots of afternoon sun. White cabinets, cheery greens and turquoise accents…Thank you!!

I LOVE Benjamin Moore’s Simply White on my trim next to my Revere Pewter Walls. So, I think it would make a great ceiling color as well! :)

2. Anonymous says

Just found your post and love your living room and the board and batten. Funny, I just got back from painting my new photography studio and I was painting…..Revere Pewter! It looks awesome on your walls.

I am so glad to see this ~ I want to paint my two youngest son’s bedroom gray but had no idea how to narrow down the process of choosing ~ perfect information. Thanks for sharing ~ pinning!

So I have been searching for the right gray and you have now sold me on Revere. So excited to get started. Looking forward to seeing your room.

Lynda @ OhSoShabby

So glad you found a color you love. Gray is a great color…am thinking about painting some of my furniture pieces gray.
    Over from Elizabeth…

I love gray too! We put it in our kitchen & love how it turned out! However, it took me buying 2 other “gray” colors before finding a true gray :D The first one looked purple & the 2nd looked blue! But, I finally found one without any blue or red colors in it to make it true gray & love it! I’ll put a link to my post about our kitchen… Best of luck to you!! Saw you at Not Just a Housewife :)
    ~Nicole

Revere Pewter was my first choice when I saw your swatches. We’ve long used gray for our living room. In fact this is the second home where we chose gray for the living room. It’s a great neutral. Our’s is a heather gray, very light.

Revere Pewter is for me. Thanks for sharing this post. I am hopping over from Simply Create link party. I’m planing for a master bedroom makeover which will be gray and yellow combination(in my mind yet)…By the way nice blog you have. Come and check me out at PlaceofMyTaste if you have a minute.:-)

9. Anonymous says

Wow, when I saw the title of your post, I wondered if Revere Pewter would be one of your choices. We just remodeled our downstairs and chose Revere Pewter (after going through much experimentation and angst!). We are very pleased with it and have never second-guessed the decision. I think you will love it!!!

It is a beautiful color. I just (and when I say I, I really mean my husband) painted our porch floor a Glidden color called Handcast pewter – I had Lowe’s mix it in Valspar. It is a darker pewter, and perfect for a porch floor. Changing things up with paint is exciting and a big bang for a small investment. I found you via Imparting Grace. Lovely to meet you!

I went to Kwal Howells to have them mix the paint because they were closer than Benjamin Moore. I got it home, painted it on poster board, and both Revere Pewter and Rockport Gray are BROWN!! They mixed it in satin finish. I took the poster boards outside to get true light and they are both still brown! Revere looks more like Grant Beige! Help! Guess I will head to Benjamin Moore tomorrow morning!!

So weird that they look brown! I had mine mixed at Lowe’s, so I know they can do it correctly. But I guess the only way to be 100% sure is go to BM. Sorry you wasted your money. That stinks!!

12. Kim Finesilver says

I love the color you chose! I am thinking of switching from beige to gray. I was wondering if you used primer first to get the right color?

Hi Kim … I didn’t use primer because I used a high quality paint + primer combo. At first the paint looked blue-ish because it was next to the beige. But once I got two coats on there it looked perfect!

13. Jess says

How did you get Lowes to match the paint? I like several Benjamin Moore paints but there is not a store near me , but Lowes is close by.

Hi Jess, I had to have the paint swatches from a Benjamin Moore store and then took them into Lowe’s for matching. Luckily, I have one near me. Check their Website. A lot of interior design stores carry their paint line, and even some smaller hardware stores do as well.

Oh I just love that gray color. It is so tough to pick a good gray, isn’t it!? We recently finished the bathroom in our basement and painted the walls gray. We stewed over which shade of gray to paint it for weeks. We like it ok, but don’t love it. We still need to paint the rest of the house gray- I’ll keep this one in mind, if painting day ever comes! Thanks for sharing.
    Renae // hillmde.blogspot.com recently posted…Cook: Quick and Easy Pizza DoughMy Profile

Oh I hate it when I paint and don’t love the color, but it definitely happens sometimes. But the sampling on poster board seems to keep that to a minimum! Thanks for stopping by!!

Lovely color choice! I just painted one of our rooms Versatile Gray by Sherwin Williams. It’s a little on the beige side, so when I do my living area I’m going grayer. Thanks for sharing.

16. Laura Freeman says

I have picked Revere Pewter for my exterior (Stucco). I want a blue beachy door since I am going for a coastal look. Would you suggest Revere Pewter for an exterior. I chose “weathered wood” shingles for my roof which is a mix of tan and gray.

Hi Suzy, the fireplace, baseboards and crown moulding were already painted when we moved in. But I painted the board and batten in Simply White by Benjamin Moore. Seems to be a pretty perfect match!

I am doing a master bath 4-9 I have off while/cream tile, shower and floor. I do not want to do white walls and vanity. I saw a pic of Ben Moore Fossil walls and Rev. Pewter on the vanity. It looks nice but my sample looks a little dark on the pewter…any thoughts of it on a vanity? It is a new custom vanity under construction and it is not like it can be repainted easily. Thanks.

I personally think gray vanities are lovely. And Revere Pewter would look great, in my opinion. But of course it’s your home and YOU have to be the one happy with the decision. Go with your gut. :)

I painted my kitchen using Anew Gray by Sherwin Williams & trimmed it out with white! It’s gorgeous and I get LOTS of compliments! Hope this helps someone that’s stuck!

19. Suzanne Melton says

Just stumbling in from the Ace Pinterest (and stumbled into there from Involving Color).

In 1980, I completely redid my master bedroom. Gray walls, gray carpet, and dark gray vinyl wallpaper forming a “headboard” up the knee wall.

I swear, I brought color chips everywhere.

When everything was done, I had a panic attack. The carpet was blue, the walls green, and the wallpaper brown.

Not REALLY those colors but I’m sure you know what I mean. Once I had moved the bed, furniture, and accessories in, all the grays seemed to come together.

Now in a different house, I’m going to paint my office in three shades of gray — ALL FROM THE SAME PAINT CHIP!

1. [...] Once I decided where to place the top boards, I drew a line around the room using my laser level (those things are awesome by the way!) and painted gray on top and white on the bottom. I learned from several other tutorials that is saves a ton of time and hand cramping to paint the walls first! So glad I did my research. (Read about how I Picked the Perfect Gray.) [...]