Living Room Makeover – Part 7: Final Reveal

In case you missed these earlier posts:
Part 1: Paint

Well, here it is folks: my new living room with the new pillows, blue accessories, board & batten, gallery wall and gray paint. It’s still my living room, strewn with toys most days. The pillows are usually being used as a launch pad on the floor, and there’s typically little bitty popcorn pieces in every nook and cranny. (I’ll share a glimpse of real life at the end.) But the vision I had when I walked into this house is finally coming together.

Before we go any further, let’s take a look at how the living room looked when we first moved in…

It was your basic builder’s beige living room. Nothing wrong with it, just needed some personalization.

And then after I’d decorated for Christmas …

And now that I look at this picture with the beige walls, I can’t believe how much paint can make a difference. (And maybe a little board & batten.)

Here is what it looks like now…

And the ever-dramatic before and after side-by-side shot …

Ahhh, so much more light, bright and calming now.

I am calling this a “reveal” in the title, but it truly is still a room in progress. I don’t know if I’ll ever call a room completely done, but this is a good stopping place. I hope you like the changes I’ve made!

Sit back and enjoy some eye candy. :)

Thanks for taking a tour around my living room. I really do love it! My husband told me this morning that our house is “fancy” now. I’m not sure exactly what that means, but I’ll take it as a compliment. :)

And just to keep things in perspective. Like I mentioned at the beginning of this post, my living room is usually strewn with popcorn, toys, shoes and all sorts of other fun things. I even took a picture before I cleaned to show you what I mean. (And this was a pretty good day. It can get much worse.)

And yes, I put my watermark on that picture. Makes me laugh. Ha!

I was planning on giving the board and batten tutorial today as well, but I think that would be a little too long of a post. So, I’ll share the details probably next week sometime. Until then, enjoy your weekend!

Are you doing any sprucing up around the house this Spring?

What do you think of my living room?

Sources …
Stenciled IKEA Curtains
Board and Batten Tutorial
Neid Trellis Rug in Charcoal from RugsUsa.com
Sofa: PB Comfort Grand Slipcovered Sofa
Basket by Fireplace: Target’s Wooden Basket with Chalkboard
Cozy Coupe – from Target – haha … I know you wanted one of those!

Click HERE to see where I party every week.

Linked up to:

TDC Before and After

I was featured:

Too Much Time On My Hands

Embracing Change

Lil'Luna             My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia      I Heart Nap Time

DIY Show Off

Featured on The Humble Brag

Comments

1. Ashley says

I love your living room!! It makes me want to redo my whole downstairs! What color paint is the grey/tan color?

Well, I’m not exactly sure. We bought it off of Craigslist, so I didn’t get the info from the guy we bought it from. If I were guessing, it’s definitely twill and I think it’s most likely the cream color. I keep meaning to take a cushion cover in there to see for sure.

I will warn you about the PB grand sofa. I love, love, love that it’s deep and comfy. There’s plenty of room for two adults to curl up on it and be comfortable. I also hate that about it. When we have guests over, especially older guests :), they seem to get lost in it and have trouble getting up from it. And now that I’m pregnant, I kind of have trouble getting up just because it’s so deep. AND next time I will get a couch with three pillows on the back. Two cushions make it comfortable for two people only. The third person in the middle has to fight with the gap in the cushions. Super uncomfortable.

This reply makes me think I need to do an update post on this couch. LOL

2. Britmul says

2 questions…what did you use to apply the paint to the curtains? And secondly, where did you find the large stencil?
    Ok maybe 3 questions. I love the color on my walls, do you think i could use that paint, to paint the curtains?

Hi Trisha! They are either from Michael’s or Hobby Lobby … can’t remember off the top of my head. :)

3. K. Nawahine says

I was wondering if you had to paint a primer on first before painting the walls with Revere Pewter. My existing walls are similar to your before pic. I love what you did. Any tips about painting the ceilings and walls…..paint brushes, tools, etc.

I didn’t, but the previous paint was a flat paint, so no need for primer. I’ve honestly never used primer on walls. I’ll sand them lightly if there’s a glossier sheen, but that’s about it! Purdy paint brushes as my favorite. They are more expensive, but last forever. I’ve had some last for 15 years. You just have to take care of them. :)

4. Deanna says

Love your style. My living room looks very very similar it’s funny! I should show you pics. Where did you get your curtains? Thank you for sharing!

5. ERIKA says

Hi! I LOVE your living room paint color? Could you tell me what the color is and where you purchased it?

Hi Cindy, I know I replied to you via e-mail already, but in case someone else is reading this and wants to know – it’s stratton blue by Benjamin Moore. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Laura! I’m a new follower, having found you at Cozy Little House. I like the name of your blog. I’m going to spend some more time browsing your lovely blog, but I wanted to take just a moment to tell you how much I like your living room. You have great style and have made your room a reflection of your own personal taste. The board and batten is wonderful. I’d love it if you’d share this post at my monthly blog party Every Room In The House. We’re partying in The Living Room this month and your living room would be a delightful addition.
    I hope to see you there! ~ Nancy

I was just going through my Pinterest boards and discovered that I had pinned this room four times. Apparently I really, really love it! :)

8. Natassia says

I love this! I now want to change my living room! We are actually looking at the PB sectional and was wondering if you could tell me which cover/color/fabric yours is…

Thanks!!

Hi Natassia, I know I already answered you in an e-mail, but in case others are wondering the same thing … it’s a twill fabric from Pottery Barn, but I’m not sure which color it is exactly because we bought it off Craigslist. :)

9. Melissa says

I am doing my living room almost exactly like yours with the gray. I have an entry way that opens into the living room, It currently has an ugly octagonal brass ceiling fixture. I want to update it but I am not sure of what to put there. I am leaning towards a drum shade of some sort. Any suggestions for me?

Ahhh, yes. The reality of living with kids. Most of the time there are toys everywhere. Really, the only time they are picked up is after my daughter is in bed. Then we start over the next day. :)

10. Kristen says

Love the make-over!! Please tell me where you found your slipcovered sofa and if you love it. Looks exactly like what I’ve been thinking but didn’t know how easy it was to truly keep it clean. Thanks!

Hi Kristen, the sofa is the Pottery Barn PB Comfort Grand Sofa. We bought it on Craigslist after I stalked CL for months! But you can buy them from the store with a whole lot less hassle. It’s huge and super comfy. :) I’m pretty strict about what I allow in my living room, so there aren’t many accidents. But, when there are accidents, I just throw the covers in the wash and they’ve come out looking great! I don’t dry them in the dryer, though. I just line dry them and then iron them. I’ve maybe washed them three times since we got it last summer. I hope this helps! We’re looking to buy the PB Comfort Loveseat to go next to it soon!

11. holly spears says

i’m sure you mentioned it already, but I just found your blog and I love the gray paint color in your living room!!! who makes it and what’s it called?

Haha!! I’m glad you found the post. It’s one of my most visited. Evidently people have a thing for finding the right gray paint. I still love it so much and would paint it Revere Pewter all over again. :) Thanks for stopping by!

Hi! I just saw your living room in the Habitat LInky Tour. I love it! The colors are gorgeous and I love the patterns you used. Thanks for sharing! :)

13. Barbara says

Can you post a link to your living room curtains…where to buy? I love the entire room….

love this, especially those curtains and rug!!! Featuring you on the blog and sharing on FB tomorrow! Thanks so much for linking up with OPC and the DIY village to support Habitat4Humanity. Hope to see back tomorrow night.

I’m just snooping around your blog today. And I want your living room rug. Bad. Watch out – I may come steal it! Gorgeous!

Hi Laura! Just found you today via Lauren, from the Thinking Closet. Hope you’re having a fab time at the Haven conference!
    I love your living room makeover. Boy, what a difference paint can make! I love your board and batten walls!
    I love the way your room has soft touches along with some rustic wood. Love the entertainment center and nice
    job on your gallery wall! Now I’m going to stop talking and take a look around at some of your home projects.

Aww, Sandy … you’re too sweet. Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you’ll continue to stick around. Off to check out your blog!!

xo, Laura

I love it! It looks so cozy and beautiful! I am in the midst of a whole house redo. My rug I bought for my living room looks a lot like yours!

Tania

Hi Laura! I LOVE this room! LOL I scrolled to the bottom of your comment page, and the comment right above this one says almost exactly what I was going to. My current home is much more beige, brown, dark red, sage green…which I loved 8 years ago. However for our new home (currently being built! We’re blessed, certainly not rich!) I want to go grey in the main rooms (a great room including living,dining and entry, and open to the kitchen and 2 hallways) and your photos were so helpful! I love that they are feeling bright and fresh (my goal!) and not cold (my fear as well). I also LOVE all your projects for this room, and will be copying at least a couple (probably the curtains first!).

One other random question- in the very first before photo I noticed your wood floors run in 2 different directions (for lack of a better term, vertical in the entry and horizontal in the living room). We are considering doing this in our new home because we have a long, 7ft wide entry, and then a very long perpendicular room that houses the living/dining areas (sort of making a T). I’m not worried about the look of the actual transition, I’m just worried that the switch in direction will bother me when I stand at the front door and can see into the house and the wood going both directions… Do you notice where your floor direction changes? Does it bother you? I don’t know if you laid it but I doubt it since it was in the before shot; would you have done it differently if you could? I know it’s an odd question but as I was looking at your pictures, I said Aha, thatis what we’re considering, wonder whatshethinks aboutit? I love your home and I think you have amazing taste, so I would appreciate an opinion if you have one. Thanks again forsharing your home and in advance for answering my odd question :) I agree that no room is ever “done”, but even so, I think you have completely acheived your goal of a bright, fresh welcoming space! I wish we were neighbors!

Hi Julia, so funny that you noticed my floors changing directions. Ha! :) We did not build the house, so it was that way when we bought it. So while I know the floors are different directions, it doesn’t bother me one bit. I think it actually helps define the large living room from the kitchen and the entry way. I’m not really sure why they changed it when they built the house, but it’s not something I ever really think about. So if you are still considering doing it in your house, I say go for it!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!!

HI Laura. I love your room! And the flow into the kitchen is so nice. I am currently transforming my home from warm colors to cool colors and turquoise is my accent color of choice! Your rooms are insuring! Lisa (new follower!)

I’m loving my new cooler colors. I thought it would feel cold, but it really is just brighter and feels so much fresher. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Another blog I must read every night!! I love your style. Did you paint your tv console? I love the whole room. Will you come decorate my home???

Hi Robin, I did not paint the TV console… I got it at Nadeau. I love it, though! I wish I could just finish decorating my own home! HA! There’s still soooo much work to be done!!

21. Barbara says

Hi Laura, gorgeous room. Where did you get the aqua flowered pillows on your sofa?

Hey Laura! Coming to visit from the Haven link up. I saw in your other post you said you used Revere Pewter in here. It looks awesome! I’d love to feature this on my paint color blog. Let me know if you’re interested!

23. Anonymous says

Where did you get the chair slip cover? I love your style! You did an amazing job!!

Your room is just beautiful. You’ve done a great job, and I know you must be really proud of the result. Way to go!

Thanks for linking this to the Grace at Home party. I featured you this week!

I absolutely love what you did with your living room. You must be enjoying it so much! Featuring you on Yesterday on Tuesday’s Crafty Soiree Party tomorrow. So happy to meet you! xo

Thank you for linking up your beautiful living room transformation to our Simply Create Link Party! We loved your transformation so much we featured it today!

Melissa
    redflycreations.com

I love it! We are looking for a similar rug and I would love to know where you got yours and if you like it!! Ours will be on carpet until we change out the flooring so I need it to be thicker!

Hi Lorie, the rug is from rugsusa.com. I snagged it at their black Friday 75% off sale. It’s the Neid Trellis rug in charcoal.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

such an amazing difference the wall color and board and batten paneling have made. just beautiful!! I’m featuring this post on Be Inspired this Thursday!

Amazing! You did a great job and it looks amazing! I love homes that make your jaw drop but also are inviting and says to guests “You can relax.” That is what I am trying to accomplish in my home.

Oh Chrissy, that is such a sweet comment! I am flattered that you think that about my home because that’s exactly what I want to convey … a “please come in a relax” vibe. Thanks for stopping by!

Usually the Cozy Coupe is joined by a wagon, a baby doll high chair, and more random toys… I just happened to pick a “good” day to take a messy pic. Ha!

Great changes–everything looks so beautiful! I especially like the board and batten and your gallery wall. My fave, though, is the rug. (I must have it!)

Lovely room! I know exactly what you mean when you say you are not sure if it will ever be done, I feel the same way about my whole house! I think that’s the fun of it!

Hi Debi and Charly, the color in the kitchen is Stratton Blue by Benjamin Moore. I looooove it!

I’ll be sure to stop by this week for your blog hop!

Love it! You’ve combined two of my favorite colors: gray & turquoise. Everything is coordinated so well! The gray paint really opens up the space too. Great job & thanks for sharing!

Such a pretty room, love all the details, colors, mix of patterns and those board and batten walls. Great work!

The beige wall looked great as it blends well with the furniture you have there in your living room. But I have to say that the current shade of your wall is much better. The place became more relaxing. Sometimes, you just have to experiment to see the ideal color to use in a certain room. I guess you’ve just found the perfect shade for your living room. Lucky you! Hehehe.

Your living room is beautiful. It is soothing and cozy. I must say my favorite pic is the last one. Thanks for adding that one in. Makes it real. Stoppin by from Feathered Nest Friday. Have a lovely weekend. ~ Wanda

What a fun living room! I really like the curtains, I’ve been thinking about stenciling some in a similar pattern. I also really like the rug and the board and batten, I’ve been trying to talk my husband into the board and batten in the bathroom, hehe.

Jenny

WOW, the painted walls really do make all the difference. Not that the room was anything but great before, but that paint is PERFECT. I love everything about your space, did you make the curtains? If so, where did you get the fabric or where they purchased? New follower.

This is gorgeous! I’m so glad to have seen your post. I’ve been considering buying that rug and it’s so nice to see it in a real room! What are your thoughts on it? The reviews said the charcoal has a bluish tint, but yours looks nice and gray. I love it. Your tv credenza is also a showstopper! You have pulled everything together beautifully and it’s nice to see that it’s “lived in!”.

Hi Jennifer, thank you so much!! :) I love, love, love the rug. It’s super comfy! It did shed quite a bit at first, but it’s toned down a LOT after much vacuuming. But that really didn’t bother me. I do think the rug reads blue-ish sometimes, but that was fine with me since I love navy. And I plan to incorporate navy in my adjoining entry way.

Thanks again for stopping by!!

39. Melissa says

What a beautiful room! I love the wall color, board and batten and rug – they all work so well together. What is the color you used one the walls? LOVE!

I absolutely LOVE your tour Laura! I would be tickled pink if you added Pretty Things at twelveOeight to your weekly party list (live now) hope you can make it!

xo, Tanya

Love it! The board and batten made a huge difference. We have it in our ensuite and just finished installing it in our hallway… still to be painted. I love turquoise too, will have to explore the rest of your blog. Hopped over from Craft-o-maniac.
    Krista @thehappyhousie

The room looks lovely. I really like the board and batten — wainscoting always makes such a big difference. I adore the pops of turquoise — my very serious “color-crush!”

that looks fabulous! the wall color isn’t so drastic, but it’s a definite change! i wish my boyfriend didn’t think once it’s done, it’s done, b/c i’d love to get rid of our beige. and it makes your rug look totaly different, too. great job!

Thank you! My hubby liked the beige, so it took some extra coaxing for him to let me change it. :) But now he likes the gray just fine. (at least that’s what he tells me… ha!)

So beautiful! I love everything – especially all the pops of aqua. You did an amazing job! My family room is beige just like your before picture and now I want to paint it gray. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

Lori
    Thrifty Decor Mom

1. […] Just this week, and I mentioned on Monday, Layla at The Lettered Cottage posted on how to achieve the Clean, Crisp Cottage style and warm wooden tones are one of those elements. Yes, it includes painted furniture too, but you don’t want everything painted. Some dark, warm tones lend to the beautiful, clean cottage style we all love. I know I love the feeling in my living room! […]