Did you know that you can take any image (including a gorgeous free printable) plus some iron-on transfer paper and turn it into a pillow cover? Or a t-shirt. Or anything made out of fabric! I’ll show you how to make adorable pillows with a free printable and iron-on transfer paper in 4 easy steps!
My friend recently introduce me to iron-on transfer paper and I couldn’t believe that I’d never heard of this DIY craft before! I really thought I had heard and see everything in the DIY world, but this one was new and I was super excited to try it out for myself!
I created some new free printables to try it out for the first time, and it seriously could not have been easier. I was in love with the results, and I know you will be too!
Just grab your favorite image, which could be one of the bajillion free printables out there, or anything you love and let’s get started!
RELATED: Easy DIY Throw Pillow
What You’ll Need to Make a Pillow with Iron On Transfer Paper
- Iron On Transfer Paper (obviously 😉) – and you’ll need to choose whether it’s for light fabric or dark fabric
- An image you want to transfer – I’ve included 3 fall printables below, but you can see a number of my free printables here. (You will have to mirror the image for it to work! I use PicMonkey to mirror mine, but you can do a google search for other ways. My printables below are already mirrored for you.)
- Pillow Cover (or other fabric) – I made a pillow over with drop cloth
- Good Quality Color Printer – I recently purchased this wireless color printer and love it! If you don’t have a color printer, you can always go to Staples or Office Depot and have them print it for you.
How to Make a Pillow with Iron On Transfer Paper
- Select your image. I’ve included 3 pretty free printables below, but you can choose your favorite image from anywhere! I have a ton of free printables to choose from here.
- Mirror your image. You will want to make your image backwards, so that it looks correct when you iron it on. I mirrored my images using PicMonkey, but I’m sure there are other ways to do this, just do a Google search. I have mirrored the 3 images below for you, but you’ll need to do it for any other images you want to use.
- Print your image in to the Iron On Transfer Paper – following the instructions carefully on the transfer paper package. It really wasn’t hard, but just make sure you know which side to print on so that you don’t waste anything! I followed the instructions exactly and it worked great!
- Once your image is printed (backwards) on the transfer paper, place it in the center of your pillow (or t-shirt, or whatever) and follow the instructions for ironing it on the fabric.
- According to the instructions for the iron on transfer paper I bought, once the paper is ironed on the fabric, you can peel the backing off.
- Now you have a gorgeous pillow cover with a unique design! I love it!!
Free Fall Printables (with mirrored images for your project!)
I created 3 different free printables for you to try out your new, awesome crafting skills! I mirrored them for you already, so if you want to use them for an iron-on transfer, then you can! Or you can just print them on regular paper and stick them in a frame. Up to you!!
Enjoy your fall paintable and your new pillow cover! I know you will love it!