How to Get Ahead of Holiday Shopping
I could have also titled this post: How to not miss the good holiday finds! 😜
I know, I know. It’s only mid-October and I haven’t even shared my fall home decor yet. But I’m sure you’ve heard about the hottest decor items already selling out this holiday season. The past two years we’ve seen supply issues, which has impacted how much inventory is out there.
That just means you will want to be a little bit more savvy and get a head start on your shopping. The best stuff always sells out in October anyway, so I thought I’d share some of the things I’m doing to get that head start we need this season.
Wouldn’t it be great to have all of the shopping wrapped up early this year and not have to stress when the holidays get here?
By the way! Amazon is having an Early Access Prime Day sale October 11-12, 2022. So get your shopping done now! So many of the items on my gift guides are from Amazon!
Top Holiday Decor Sell-Outs Every Year
Most holiday items are in stock right now, but will quickly go out of stock in mid-late October (if they haven’t already). So, if you know you want to buy a new artificial tree or some kind of Christmas decor, it’s time to shop NOW. I’m not kidding. Some things are already selling out.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. See my full disclosure policy.
These are my most popular items that I shared last year that will most likely sell out early.
- ‘Feel Real’ Pre-lit Artificial Christmas Tree – This was my new tree in the living room two years ago and it is GORGEOUS! I can’t recommend it enough!
- Woven Tree Collar – This is only $40 and I’m shocked it’s still in stock! I love it!
- Abaca Woven Tree Collar – I have this one and it’s a littler pricier than the other one I just shared. But it’s a good second choice if the other one sells out!
- Hanging Iron Bells – I have so many of these sets because they are so cute in a wreath or garland! Last year I used 3 sets woven through my mantel garland and it was so pretty! I’ve been able to find these later in the season, but for much higher prices. Get them now while they are $30 or less!
- Real Touch Norfolk Pine Garland – I use this pine garland on my mantel, layered over some much cheaper garlands and it is gorgeous! I’ve seen it as high as $300 later in the season, so get it at the lowest price now. (I found it even cheaper this year, here!)
- Pine Tree Reversible Towels – I bought these hand towels a couple of years ago for my powder bathroom and they sold out before I could ever share them. I LOVE how they bring a hint of seasonal decor to the bathroom and I’ll use them throughout the winter.
- Mercury Glass Adorned Ornaments – I had to hunt to find these in stock last November, so if you need quality ornaments, get these now!
- Creative Co-Op Large Green Stoneware Tree Set of 2 – These trees look so cute on my kitchen counters!
- Stewart Plaid Duvet Cover and Pillow Shams – I have this plaid bedding in my bedroom and LOVE it! When I first bought it, the shams were out of stock and I had to drive 2 hours each way to find one in a store. And I did it. LOL Don’t be like me. 😜 Order it now!
- Tabletop Christmas Trees – I love having trees sitting out all over my home during the holidays, and even through the winter! Here’s a $35 tabletop tree, and a pre-lit faux frosted pine tree.
Get Inspired Early
If you’re having trouble even imaging Christmas decor right now … because, well, maybe it’s still 80 degrees where you live? I have my Christmas posts from last year that may help inspire you.
- My Christmas Decorating Plans from 2021
- 7+ Ways to Decorating with Christmas Ribbon
- Traditional Christmas Living Room Decor
- Christmas Bedroom Decor
- Traditional Christmas Kitchen Decor
- My Blush and Brass Christmas Office
And remember, I’m not decorating yet. I’m just ordering what I want/need before it sells out or there are crazy shipping delays. I’ll put everything in a closet until at least November 1. (And I have to decorate early because it’s my job.)
Stores to Watch Closely
One of the best ways to get ahead of sell outs is to know when stores release their inventory. Typically holiday inventory is not restocked, so once it’s gone, that’s it! I find that when I’m unsure about an item, I’ll go ahead and buy it now and return it later if it doesn’t work out. But most of the time I wish I’d bought more!
- McGee & Co. – I love their eclectic collection of seasonal decor at the holidays. It’s not all my style, but I find myself adding a lot of their ornaments and wall decor to my shopping cart! Most of their holiday line is available now. Shop my favorites HERE.
- Target – We all know and love Target for its affordable and easily accessible decor. But the best stuff sells out quick.
- Hearth and Hand with Magnolia has already released some items and the rest will release on October 17!
- Studio McGee Holiday Line releases some on October 7, October 31 & November 7. And some is available now!
- Brooke & Lou – This is another small business that has great, unique holiday decor. Their holiday line drops Tuesday, October 12 at 9 am CST. Once it’s gone, it’s gone! (PS – Some of their stuff is WAY overpriced in my opinion, but some of it is not. There’s NO way I’m paying $330 for a garland. But I’d pay $18 for a pine cone cluster because it would cost me that much in materials and time to make it! And I’d pay $8 for a handmade large ornament.)
- Pottery Barn – Another favorite store that will sell out a lot of decor early. Last year I saw items in October and never saw them again. So shop now!
- Ballard Designs – I’ve been buying more and more from this store since it’s traditional vibe fits with my home. I’m excited to shop their holiday store this year.
Shopping for Others
And as always, we’ve already got to be thinking of shopping for other people in our lists. I’ve got more than a dozen gift guides I’ve continued to add to over the years. I’ll be updating them more this week, but feel free to take a look around and get a head start on that shopping list!
The sources are telling us that shipping delays and quanity of products is going to be a real issue this year. So, go ahead and buy those gifts you already know you need!
I hope this helps you feel more prepared this season!! Let me know if you have any tips or ideas that I missed!
More Posts You Will Love:
Gift shopping and florals for the new house complete. A few stores do not have anything out of a very limited selection. Trying to find the.last few items.
Never to early. The month of December can be spent on prayer for the coming of Jesus
I opened your e mail and thought I could put my tree up today and be happy!! Well I really love your tree and basket. SOOO I put the tree in my cart, now to hit send!! Its less than one I had my eye on and yours looks so full. Thanks Laura!
You can TOTALLY put your tree up today. I’m really ready! As soon as Halloween is finished, all bets are off!! 🙂
I’m almost finished with my Christmas shopping. I started at the end of September.
*correction….. end of August
Yay!!! Some day this will be me. LOL!